Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Know Your Products Inside and Out! (That includes your Doctor)

So as I am sitting here, starting another article titled "quick tips for women"  I started taking a couple new vitamins I have been researching for awhile.  I added niacin to my vitamin stack with the recommendation of many doctors and physicians online.  Niacin (also known as B3) has been proven to help in DNA regeneration, the use of sugars as energy, as well as enhancing moods.  It is even proven to treat depression (came across it on an awesome documentary called Food Matters).  Niacin is also a common compound in foods and are found in a variety of nuts.  While this may seem as little importance to you, it has brought me to talk about a huge concept that needs to be addressed on this blog.  This is a blog, I am not a doctor nor am I saying I am.  I do however do a lot of research into the ideas I bring up, and especially on anything I put in my body.  Tonight I learned a valuable lesson that being some people are not the majority, sometimes you are the 1% that doesn't deal well with some compounds or in some cases you are sensitive to these compounds.  Niacin for me is one of these.  I used a very small dosage, smaller than most (to treat depression 11,000mg were taken, on average people take 1000mg, I took 500mg)  and immediately felt a huge influx of heat.  My skin turned bright red like a bad sun burn and my skin began to feel as though I had one.  To those who have ever used tingler in a tanning bed it is that feeling x2 and it was head to toe.  Now I did my homework, I did my research and I did more than many should and would but I made a mistake.  I forgot that sometimes you are that 1%.  For any of you looking at my advice, and or looking at the various supplements and vitamins I post, you should still ALWAYS consult your doctor to ensure that you will be healthy on it.  I am currently still bright red (getting better) but have not only put myself into this hilarious red lobster suit, I have also ruined my workout for the night and cost myself a workout.  Now for me that is fine, thats replaceable  but for some people you may not always be so lucky.  What if you react to these at work?  You would be in a much rougher situation and thats what leads me to my final statements, and this will be a repeat of what I have said above.  Always do your homework, always talk to a physician, always ease your way into new supplements and always assume you may be the 1%.  I know this is the niacin because I have researched it and knew what my potential side affects may be.  Know your products and know the outcomes that may arise from such.  Don't become a lobster!
Stay healthy!

 

1 comment:

  1. In nutrition class today a girl was talking about how she tried niacin to lose weight and the same thing happened to her and she ended up in the hospital! Good thing you started small.

    ReplyDelete